Sales interviewing

Any tips for an interview as a new sales rep?

Congrats on landing an interview first of all! You can stand out as a candidate with a strong introduction and a strong close that both show why you are a great fit for the role and the company. This is especially true for positions like Outside Sales, where you are expected to close a bit harder than other types of jobs. A good close for most jobs is to ask about next steps and ask how you should follow up. I might try to tease out if there are any objections to your candidacy so that you can overcome it. For example, you might ask, “Are there any questions that you have or any reservations to believing that I’d be a great fit for the role?” This gives them the chance to say that they were looking for more experience or whatever their objection is, and then you can overcome it by showing how relevant your experience is, how your passion for the industry makes up for it, etc. Good luck!

1 Like

I completely agree with Steve here!

Additionally, regardless of the position, I believe that showing motivation and genuine willingness to learn can go a long way, especially if you’re just starting with your career. Of course, you also need to do your homework and know what the company does, what their main products are, what your job’s responsibilities would be, etc. If I’m interviewing someone and the person gives me the impression that he doesn’t know what my company actually does, then it will be a sure no from my side. If you don’t know exactly what the company does, don’t worry, just ask more in-depth questions of your interviewer.

What is the best way to prepare of an industry-specific interview? I am applying for pharma sales jobs and I don’t know much about the industry but am eager to learn. Is that okay to say during the interview?

@borgesdan The pharmaceutical industry can be a little tough to prepare for without previous experience because the materials are very specific and geared towards a certain kind of person. I would start by looking through the company’s products and then research the diseases or problems that the company’s drugs solve. Pay attention to the company’s history with drugs and reputation on the market and how expensive they are compared to competitors.