What's the best sales advice you ever got?

Is there one piece of advice that you got over the course of your career that really stands out to you?

1 Like

There was definitely a ton of great advice I got when working in sales, but one that has always stuck with me was from my first Sales Manager at Google, Mark Flessel. He told me to focus on understanding my prospect’s and customer’s business - to truly understand what their KPI’s, needs and goals were. Then I could map my solution to what makes them successful. I have found time and time again in sales, taking the time to ask the right questions and listen to understand my customer’s business drivers has allowed me to differentiate my solution over my competitors.

5 Likes

Thanks for the answer, Steve. What are your favorite questions to ask to uncover your prospects’ pain/goals?

1 Like

A great way to discover what a prospects really cares the most about and what really pains them is to lay out the different options and position how honest communication with you is in their best interest. You can say something like: “I have a 50-page product feature eBook that I can email you, but I want to ensure that I only send you (or show you) the most relevant piece of information. Can you tell me, are you guys more interested in X or Y or Z?”

I cover this question in depth in my Youtube video on Sales Judo available here.

2 Likes