Tips for dealing with sales manager

Hi everyone! I’m new to sales and looking for advice on how to deal with my sales manager. He does nothing to motivate my sales team and he leaves me feeling confused and uninspired in my own job. To give some concrete examples, if he sees a problem within my team, he simply tells us to meet more prospects, without providing us the necessary resources to do so. He just delegates tasks to us that seem to have no real end goal. He’s also scared to make any changes on the team, even if some sales reps are not doing the best. Do you have any advice on how to stay motivated with a bad leader?

1 Like

Hi Tamile, I am sorry you have to deal with a bad manager. I know how difficult it can be to stay motivated in a sales job with poor leadership and little guidance. There are a variety of paths you can take to improve this situation. One is to try and cope with your manager. Consider reading this article about how other salespeople have dealt with their bad sales managers. Another strategy is to rely more directly on your own ability to motivate yourself. Sales Hacker published a great guide on how to achieve self-motivation. Hope this helps!

Wow, that’s a pretty terrible situation to be stuck in. I would just try to motivate yourself as best you can, though it’s a lot easier said than done. Whenever I’m in a slump and feel unmotivated, I try to set mini goals for myself. For example, I tell myself that I should meet with X number of prospects or gain X number of qualified leads by the end of the week. That way, I actually have something to work towards. And like @graysonf mentioned, there are a ton of articles out there with tips on how to stay motivated in sales. I’d try them out and see which ones work best for you. This article has some great advice: https://www.badgermapping.com/blog/how-to-motivate-yourself-in-sales/

Best of luck with everything!

Sounds bad, sorry about that! Well, the guy sounds pretty afraid of failure if he’s unwilling to make changes to the team, probably because of associated risks. With this type of manager, maybe try giving him a bunch of updates about your activities. How many calls you have today, how many meetings, how may prospects are down your pipeline, etc. If he knows exactly what you’ll be doing, maybe he'll be more inclined to provide you with the resources you need. Actively show him what you need to succeed, and how he can help.