Interview advice

I’ve had multiple interviews to get into B2B sales, ranging from food containers to medical device, pharma, and building materials. I’ve gotten pretty far a few times but never quite make it to the end. Anyone have experience in winning these interview battles? What do you think won it for you? Am I missing something super creative or funky that others are doing? Thanks in advance!

Blake

2 Likes

@Bspend I recommend first looking at B2B jobs that you are passionate about. It will be easier to interview if you are excited about working for that business. Having background knowledge on the company you are interviewing for is also a plus. I always look up any news or big press announcements the company has had recently so I can bring that up and be informed in the interview - that helps you ask smart questions too. Something that has worked for me also is following up with a company to create value. You want them to know you really want to work for them.

1 Like

I agree with @Miranda, you always want to create value with the company you are interviewing for. I recommend asking thoughtful questions and practicing different scenarios that they could potentially ask.

@bspend Hi Blake! It may not necessarily be because you are doing something wrong, it could be that there was just a better fit for that position at that time. I think it would be worth it to go back to those who have interviewed you politely ask for feedback. Otherwise, you would just be guessing how to solve the problem. Hearing somebody tell you exactly where you went wrong gives you the opportunity to address the actual problem.

Hey @bspend! In my experience, all sales interviews are pretty similar. They normally consist of three stages. The first step is a phone interview where the recruiter is evaluating if you are a critical thinker, consultative, and engaged in a customer-first mentality. They usually ask you what would you do in a certain situation, but the trick is not to answer right away with a solution, but telling them you’ll need to do some research about the customer before taking action. In this step, they will also determine your capacity to explain concepts by asking you personal questions. The next step is a role play exercise where you’ll be asked to sell their product, you’ll receive all the marketing material you need to prepare your pitch beforehand . This step is crucial, and preparation is key for succees. If you make it to the last step, you’ll have an interview with the team manager. This final stage is for the manager to verify that you are a good fit for the team and to check your knowledge in sales. I hope this helps!

Hey Blake! You not getting job offers doesn’t necessarily mean you are doing anything wrong, there could be many reasons. But from my experience as a sales rep, here’s what you could try to stand out:
Prepare a good introduction and a strong close! Of course, demonstrating that you are able to close well is especially important in Sales. Don’t just ask about next steps. Try to tease out if they have any objections that you could overcome.
More generally, something that has always helped me in job interviews is getting the interviewer to talk about things they like. If you feel like the person is especially proud of something or interested in a certain topic, ask questions!
Good luck with your interviews, let us know how they go.

I’d say one of the most important things you can do to better your chances at landing a sales job is practice and prepare beforehand. Look up some popular sales interview questions online and practice answering them. You’ll feel more prepared, and it’ll make you more confident, as well. I’d also make sure to write down all the interview questions you’ve encountered so far during your job search. Try to focus on the ones that came up often and really think about the best way to answer them. I’d also spend time thinking about your career as a sales rep. Think of what you’ve achieved, scenarios you’ve encountered, strategies you’ve used, etc. That way, you can better answer interview questions by making your responses more specific to you. Remember, employers are looking for well-versed, well-spoken sales reps. If you can respond to any question thrown at you with ease and clarity, it’ll take you far. Good luck!