How to improve at intuitive selling?

Hello you all!

New to the forum, and I decided to start my participation here asking you, the pros, how to improve at intuitive selling. I’m brand new to this area of soft skills, and therefore, your advice will be more than welcome. It will be treasured!

Thanks in advance!

Hi @MenualX! I think going back to intuitive selling makes a ton of sense. Nowadays, sales reps don't need to provide information about their products to their prospects, what they need to do is to empathize with them and provide them tailored solutions. Going off the script and stop repeating the same sales pitch, is what will help you build stong relationships with your customers. The best advice for intuitive selling is to listen carefully to your prospects during a meeting, this way you'll be able to understand their pain points and deliver a tailored answer. Keep in mind, that listening is your only tool when you're improvising, so I wouldn't recommend this technique to those with poor listening skills.

I totally agree with @smeyer here. Actively listening is key. You need to turn into your prospects’ business advisor and that requires really understanding them and their problems, diagnosing and clarifying their needs, and thinking strategically about opportunities. I’ve found this online course that might help you get better at this sales technique. Good luck!

I like the direction this discussion is going. After 20 years of door-to-door cold call sales, I would like to add another dimension.

Every personal possession owned by your prospect, represents a previous decision. Collectively, these decisions reveal patterns describing what ultimately motivates your prospect. Once you grasp the general terms of this motivation, begin describing what your selling in those general terms. We intuitively do this now but through this technique the need for intuition is replaced with cognitive knowing. Your sales numbers will explode.

1 Like

I also agree with @smeyer and @MattyBoy. I think that really understanding a prospect and their pain points is important when practicing intuitive selling. If you have more context on a prospect’s situation, you can more easily use your intuition and get a sense of what approach you should take when pitching your product. It’s also important to practice empathy with your prospects, as this is another way to really get to know your prospect well and understand what they’re struggling with. Another good trick for intuitive selling is to base your actions and decisions on what has worked for you in the past. Bringing in past experience to a current situation will help you make the right decisions on the spot!

Welcome to this community @MenualX! Soft skills are becoming more and more important to sales, and I’m happy to hear you’re thinking of improving your own. The best advice I can give is to listen, listen, listen…and listen some more! You will never understand your customer and their pain points unless you listen more than you speak. To build trust, I suggest remembering a few key takeaways from in-person meetings or phone calls with your prospect to bring up in future conversations. Do they mention their kids, sports they play, or music they listen to? Bring these up! Trust your gut and you’ll be well on your way to closing more deals.