Handling a sneaky objection

So I’m still pretty new to sales and recently I was on the phone with a prospect when they randomly cut me short and said “sure, just send me your information and I’ll review it and get back to you”. This isn’t the first time this has happened, and they never actually get back to me, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good tips or tricks to kind of weasel around this answer and still make the sale or get the meeting?

1 Like

Hi @georgia! Unfortunately, when your prospect tells you that, they’ve already decided not to listen to you anymore, so there’s little you can do to get their attention back. Try to say something really intriguing right at the beginning to peak their interest and avoid being brushed off like that. Stats on how successful your product is or customer quotes work really well here. Good luck!

1 Like

I totally understand what you are going through. I have had people do that same to me and like @cantgen said, sometimes they’ve already made their minds to not listen but sometimes that doesn’t mean the deal is lost. What I have done, and find that sometimes works, is do as they say. I send them my product information, but instead of waiting for them to get back to me, I make sure to schedule a time to call them back before they hang up. That way, I assure there will be another interaction and it provides me with another opportunity to speak to them and maybe change my approach to get their attention. What I find is that maybe what went wrong during our first interaction is simply it wasn’t the right time, they had a lot going on and didn’t have time to hear from me. Maybe the next time around they’ll be in a different mindset that may work to my advantage. I hope this technique works for you!

1 Like

The key here is to grab their attention at the beginning. I’ve found that the best way to do this is to ask what their needs are and explain how specific features of your product can help them fulfill those needs. Being specific when you do this gives them a clear picture of how much better off they could be with your product, and what they’d be missing out on if they just dismiss you right off the bat. It would at least keep them intrigued enough to listen to everything else you have to say and keep in touch. Focus more on the “what we can do for you” rather than the “what I want you to do for me”. This is the difference between putting them in the mindset of ‘oh wow, this person can actually help me’ rather than the ‘oh great, another pesky salesperson and I’m just another one on the list’. Putting them and their needs as the center focus instead of your product makes them feel obligated to hear you out on your pitch.

1 Like

I’m not sure there’s much you can do if their mind is already made up to get off the phone with you. But before you get off the phone, ask exactly what information they’d like to receive. You should be thinking about this during your whole conversation. If you haven’t stirred up enough interest to make a sale, then this likely means that your pitch didn’t work for them. Either way, the only way this is a loss is if you don’t learn from it!

Hi Georgia, I understand how frustrated you must feel. I hate to hear those words after a pitch! Unfortunately, it sounds like you’ve lost them for now. However, I would reach out to them again. Send your prospect your information and ask if there’s a better time to talk. You never know what can change in a few months!