Advice for newcomer

I’m a young sales rep and just started a job in eyewear sales. What would you say does it take to do well in a such a specific sales role like that?

You have to know your client very well, so for glasses maybe research eyewear boutiques or outlets in the area and give their websites a look for what they offer. Also reach out to people on Facebook or LinkedIn with your same job title and see if they have any tips. You should probably be pretty savvy with specific industry terms too, know about the different types of eyewear, how to differentiate your products over others and what your market looks like.

2 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is that unless you are working for a big eyewear brand like Luxottica or Marcolin, you will be representing a smaller, independent brand. I used to work for Matsuda which is sold all around the world but is not available direct to customers. If you work for a company like this, you are in a unique position to provide service to optical shops that can sell to the customer, with no competition to online sales. Don’t forget to mention this.

When starting out, I wished that someone had told me to learn more about prescription lenses, not just the mechanics of the glasses. Optical shops like to know what kind of lenses can fit into each frame and the best customer for each frame.

2 Likes

Graysonf, good advice. Who your selling to in this case, enjoys learning and can find rapport with those who also like to learn. Describe and sell. You’re job is to make the buyer feel competent and knowledgeable.

I used to be a salesperson at sunglass hut, and one thing I’ve learned is that the eyewear market is extremely sensitive to current fashion trends. So staying up to date on what glasses celebrities are wearing helped me convince some people. Granted, some of these people likely came into the store wanting to be convinced and sold a pair of glasses, but lucky for you, this makes your job easier. It’s less about convincing them they need sunglasses, and more about convincing them they need THIS pair, right now, for THIS reason.

Congrats on your new job! I think the most important thing, in the beginning, is to get very comfortable with your product. Become an absolute eyewear expert! You want to be able to show how your eyewear will solve your prospect's problem. Being familiar with every single detail or feature of your product will help you do that. Once you fully understand what makes your product special, you'll be able to convey it to your customers. Let us know how your first weeks go!

Hi @BBay! Although you say eyewear sales are specific, here is some useful knowledge that I think can be applied to any outside sales job. As @graysonf pointed out, you first have to determine whether you’re working for a smaller or larger eyewear provider. While some background in the eyewear industry is preferred, it is not necessary and you can learn plenty on the job. Understanding your territory and building close relationships with optical shops are the most important steps for any newcomer. Be organized, have some grasp on eyewear style, and be enthusiastic!